City on a Hill Director's Commentary

Monday, January 08, 2007

Extreme Makeover

I’m way too cynical. I far too often assume the worst about any situation. So when the lovely Carol and I watched Extreme Makeover: Home Edition last night, I brought all of my jaded opinions along with me. I don’t ordinarily watch the show, but it was the one featuring the family from Lincoln.

When they showed the house going up, I found myself resenting what was going on. Why did they deserve such a nice house? Why are all of these resources being spent on one family?

But then I realized something. My day is coming. Someday I will move into a house that makes Bill Gates’ place look like this. Jesus is preparing a place for us. And we won’t deserve it. But it will be more magnificent than anything we can conceive.

This show is a picture of grace. God bestows on us gifts that we don’t deserve and could not possibly pay for. How wonderful is that?

***

One thing saddened me, though. Throughout the show, the hosts insinuated that the HOUSE would make this family happy. Certainly there was a rush of excitement when everybody moved in. But no matter how snazzy the place, apart from Christ, there can be no contentment or true happiness. We’re constantly being told that the right house/car/clothes/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/IPOD/vacation/laundry detergent/extra value meal/bank account balance/Cotton Bowl victory is the key to a contented soul. But as Augustine said, “Our souls will not find rest until they find their rest in thee.” None of these things is a bad thing, but when they become a god-substitute, they are guaranteed to disappoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home