City on a Hill Director's Commentary

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tony Gonzalez

I’m not sure whether the fact that I still root for both the Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs reveals me to be deeply loyal and faithful, or just too dumb to know when to quit. But for a Chiefs’ fan, one of the great joys in life the last few years has been watching Tony Gonzalez dominate defenses and make great play after great play.
But the guy is not a moral genius. I recently saw an interview with him online. There is enough peripheral junk on the site that I won’t link to it, but here is the “interesting” portion of the interview:
Interviewer: How many guys is it ok for a woman to have slept with?

Tony Gonzalez: It depends on the way it went down. As far as somebody that I wanna spend the rest of my life with, low mileage is better.

Interviewer: Double digits?

Tony: If you’re over 30 I think you’re approaching probably double digits, but if you’re in your twenties, keep it low, keep low mileage, that’s what men like, low mileage.

I think TG’s answers illustrate a serious problem we have today. Our society has rejected moral authority and a biblical view of sexuality for a host of reasons: It’s too puritanical…it’s not realistic…etc.

Yet we cannot live with the consequences of this rejection. On what basis can Tony argue that women should be “low mileage”? Personal preference? Why would we all prefer “low mileage” partners? I think it’s because we understand that indulging all of our impulses (sexual or otherwise) damages our souls in undeniable ways. We’ve rejected biblical morality (special revelation) yet general revelation won’t let us get away with thinking that “anything goes”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home